REGISTER | LOGIN
You are invited to submit your very best photos of California wildlife for the 2021 10th annual California Wildlife Photo of the Year contest.
The 2021 contest has five submission *Entry Periods, beginning in January, 2021 and ending October 31, 2021. The final judging period, November - December, 2021, is reserved for selecting the Photo of the Year. The 2021 10th annual contest is presented by California Watchable Wildlife and Outdoor California, and sponsored by Sierra Nevada Conservancy and Out of this World Optics.
Winning images will be published in Outdoor California starting in March-April, 2021.
The 2021 Photo of the Year will be announced in January, 2022
What to submit:
- Images taken at a California Watchable Wildlife Viewing site (see map on California Watchable Wildlife Website)
- Images taken in the Sierra Nevada (view map)
- Any California wildlife species in native habitat
- People viewing wildlife
- Interesting animal behavior
- Seasonal abundance of wildlife
Images will be judged by a panel of three judges. Criteria are:
- Technical Excellence (focus, exposure, resolution)
- Difficulty in getting the shot
- Overall impact and storytelling aspects of the image
|* Entry Periods:
||Winning images published in Outdoor California Issue:
|1) January-February, 2021
|2) March-April, 2021
|3) May-June, 2021
|4) July-August, 2021
|5) September-October, 2021
Photo of the Year will be chosen from all winning entries submitted in 2021. In addition, one photo will be selected from the submissions to represent a California Watchable Wildlife viewing site (view map), and one photo to represent the Sierra Nevada (view regions) All awards are made by California Watchable Wildlife. The Photo of the Year photographer is awarded an optics product valued at $1,000 from Out of This World Optics.
Click here for Submission Guidelines and Terms.
Return to the California Watchable Wildlife Website.