REGISTER | LOGIN
You are invited to submit your very best photos of California wildlife for the 2020 California Wildlife Photo of the Year contest.
The 2020 contest has five submission *Entry Periods, beginning in January, 2020 and ending October 31, 2020. The final judging period, November - December, 2020, is reserved for selecting the Photo of the Year. The 2020 contest is presented by California Watchable Wildlife and Outdoor California, and sponsored by Sierra Nevada Conservancy and Out of this World Optics.
Winning images will be published in Outdoor California starting in March-April, 2020.
Photo of the Year will be announced in January, 2021
What to submit:
- Images taken at a California Watchable Wildlife Viewing site (see map on California Watchable Wildlife Website)
- Images taken in the Sierra Nevada (view map)
- Any California wildlife species in native habitat
- People viewing wildlife
- Interesting animal behavior
- Seasonal abundance of wildlife
Images will be judged by a panel of three judges. Criteria are:
- Technical Excellence (focus, exposure, resolution)
- Difficulty in getting the shot
- Overall impact and storytelling aspects of the image
|* Entry Periods:
||Winning images published in Outdoor California Issue:
|1) January-February, 2020
|2) March-April, 2020
|3) May-June, 2020
|4) July-August, 2020
|5) September-October, 2020
Photo of the Year will be chosen from all of the three category winners in each bi-monthly contest submitted in 2020. All awards are made by California Watchable Wildlife. The Photo of the Year photographer is awarded an Opticron MM4 GA 60 ED Travelscope and Opticron HDF T Eyepiece valued at $800.00 from Out of This World Optics.
Click here for Submission Guidelines and Terms.
Return to the California Watchable Wildlife Website.