REGISTER | LOGIN
You are invited to submit your very best photos of California wildlife for the 2019 California Wildlife Photo of the Year contest.
The 2019 contest has five submission *Entry Periods, beginning in January, 2019 and ending October 31, 2019. The final judging period, November - December, 2019, is reserved for selecting the Photo of the Year. The 2019 contest is presented by California Watchable Wildlife, Sierra Nevada Conservancy and Outdoor California, .
Winning images will be published in Outdoor California starting in March-April, 2019.
Photo of the Year will be announced in January, 2020
What to submit:
- Images taken at a California Watchable Wildlife Viewing site (see map on California Watchable Wildlife Website)
- Images taken in the Sierra Nevada (view map)
- Any California wildlife species in native habitat
- People viewing wildlife
- Interesting animal behavior
- Seasonal abundance of wildlife
Images will be judged by a panel of three judges. Criteria are:
- Technical Excellence (focus, exposure, resolution)
- Difficulty in getting the shot
- Overall impact and storytelling aspects of the image
|* Entry Periods:
||Winning images published in Outdoor California Issue:
|1) January-February, 2019
|2) March-April, 2019
|3) May-June, 2019
|4) July-August, 2019
|5) September-October, 2019
Photo of the Year will be chosen from all entries submitted in 2019. In addition, two Honorable Mentions will be selected from submissions. Honorable Mention for image taken at California Watchable Wildlife viewing site (view map)
Honorable Mention for image taken in the Sierra Nevada (view regions)
All awards are made by California Watchable Wildlife. The Photo of the Year photographer is awarded an Opticron MM4 GA 60 ED Travelscope, Opticron HDF T Eyepiece and Vanguard ABEO 243AV tripod valued at $1,000 from Out of This World Optics.
Click here for Submission Guidelines and Terms.
Return to the California Watchable Wildlife Website.